The Acropolis Museum in Athens welcomes thousands of history buffs every year and fascinates them with dazzling displays of the exquisite surviving treasures of Acropolis of Athens. It has now become one of the must-visit places for travellers exploring Greece.
Here are some interesting facts about the Acropolis Museum that will surely compel you to visit the museum:
Planning to visit Greece? Book our trip to Athens (one of our best-selling international holiday packages) at http://tourient.com/Destinations/Athens and enjoy a hassle-free visit to the capital city.
1) The museum is an architectural wonder: The Acropolis Museum is an embodiment of sublime architecture. Designed by Bernard Tschumi, the building is based on a simple and modernistic style. The Acropolis Museum comprises four levels; the three levels exhibit the collections of the museum, and the auxiliary spaces (offices, cafes, and shops) are located on the fourth middle floor.
2) The illumination of the Parthenon hall is done naturally: The building features glass exterior walls that direct the natural light to the Parthenon hall which houses the historic Parthenon Marbles.
3) A relatively new museum and not a typical one: Acropolis Museum is relatively new as it was opened just in 2009. It was built to replace the Old Acropolis Museum. Two main factors led to the establishment of the new museum: the old museum’s capacity did not suffice to house the new artifacts uncovered from the excavations on the Acropolis. Another major factor was to request the United Kingdom to return the Parthenon Marbles which the latter acquired in a controversial term.
4) Restaurant with a picturesque view: The restaurant on the museum’s second floor offers a perfect space for relaxation after you’ve fully toured the building. The restaurant has a spacious open terrace from where you can enjoy picture-perfect views of the city’s skyline.
5) Award-winning museum: The Acropolis Museum has won multiple prestigious awards, including the Keck Award in 2012, the AIA (The American Institute of Architects) Award for Architecture, the Best Worldwide Tourism Project from the British Guild of Travel Writers, and the Award of Excellence and Sustainability by the International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD).
6) Competitions for the design of the new museum
There were numerous competitions held for the design of the new Acropolis Museum. The first design competition was held in 1976 and only architects from Greece could participate. The second competition was held in 1979; no good result could be obtained from these two competitions as the land plot was deemed unviable.
Enjoy a hassle-free trip with Tourient
At, Tourient, we ensure that your holiday trips are hassle-free. We take care of everything, including flight booking, hotel booking, and rental car booking. In other words, you really put your feet up during your holiday and enjoy. Explore our packages at http://www.tourient.com/holiday-packages.